Joe Pesci slaps a Kiss on Catherine Scorsese
Directed by Martin Scorsese
CATHERINE and The BOYS
From R to L : Ray Liotta, Joe Pesci, Catherine Scorsese, Rober DeNiro
Late Night Eating Scene in in Goodfellas …
THE SCORSESE FAMILY COOKBOOK
by Catherine Scorsese
The Pasta Sauce
The recipes in Catherine Scorsese’s cookbook, ”Italianamerican” (Random House, 1996, $21), range from pasta e fagioli to ricotta pie. The book, also by Georgia Downard, contains the standbys of thousands of southern Italian immigrant households that, by adding or withholding specific ingredients, intensely personalized each recipe.
The pasta sauce recipe, below, was included in the credits of a 10-minute Scorsese film, ”Italianamerican,” which recorded a visit by the director with his parents at their home. The movie was shown at the New York Film Festival in 1974.
Total time: 1 hour, 45 minutes
1 large onion, peeled and minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cans (28 ounces each) whole tomatoes in thick puree
2 cans (16 ounces each) tomato sauce
2 cups water
1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
3 large cloves garlic, peeled
2 carrots, peeled
1 all-purpose potato, peeled
5 tablespoons minced fresh basil, or 1 tablespoon dried
5 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, or 1 tablespoon dried
Salt to taste
Cayenne pepper to taste
1/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
1/4 cup milk
6 ounces ground pork
6 ounces ground veal
6 ounces ground beef
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan.
1. In a 6-quart, or larger, saucepan or casserole, cook the onion in the oil, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
2. In a blender or food processor, puree tomatoes and sauce. Add tomato mixture to pan along with water, tomato paste, garlic, carrots, potato, 3 tablespoons of basil, 3 tablespoons of parsley, salt and cayenne to taste. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and, stirring occasionally, cook, partly covered, for 30 minutes.
3. In a small bowl, soak the bread crumbs in the milk until softened.
4. In a large bowl, combine bread-crumb mixture with meat, egg, Parmesan, remaining 2 tablespoons basil and parsley, salt, cayenne and 1/2 cup of sauce. Gradually shred and add meat mix to sauce, a little at a time. Partly cover, and bring sauce to a simmer, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour. Before serving, remove garlic cloves, carrots and potato.
5. Use about 2 cups of sauce for each pound of pasta.
Yield: about 12 cups.
Martin Scorsese’s Father CHARLIE Makes GRAVY in GOODFELLAS
Catherine Scorsese actually made the GARVY for this scene …
Famed prison scene in GODDFELLAS where Charles Scorsese plays Vinny
making GRAVY (aka SUNDAY SAUCE) in Prison …
LEARN HOW to MAKE
“VINNY’S SUNDAY SAUCE GRAVY”
FRANK PELLIGRINO of RAO’S East Harlem, cooks STEAK
in GODDFELLAS Prison Scene as CHARLIE SCORSESE makes SAUCE …
ROOFTOP WEDDING SCENE in RAGING BULL
this scene was shot on the rooftop of Martin Scorsese’s Parents Apartment
on ELIZABETH STREET in Lower Manhattan ….
Catherine Scorsese Cooked all the Italian Food for the Wedding Party Scene,
as she cooked the Food that was on the Table in the Goodfellas late night eating scene
and all of Martin Scorsese Films when Italian Food is required in a scene. Basta!
Grandma Bellino’s Italian Cookbook
RECIPES FROM MY SICILIAN NONNA
by Daniel Bellino “Z”